BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 25, 2009

In the Beginning

I can't believe it!
Time is really flying and in one month I'll be flying too -- across the world to South Korea! I've designed this blog because no.1 I like ranting and writing, no.2 I think it would be informative to anyone who is interested in teaching overseas and no.3 so my family & friends will know I am a-okay!

So, why teach overseas, you might ask? Why South Korea?
Here is my story: I am a certified Ontario teacher with no job, the economy promises nothing these days. puh! Bittersweet though... while studying to become a teacher I met some people who had already taught abroad. One day two of my friends were talking about how they'd walked the great wall of China... and I thought to myself, "If they can do it, why can't I?" With no commitments whatsoever (no full time job, mortgage to pay or romantic counterpart) I sent in my resume, had a phone interview and there ya go! Easy as easy can be.

After hearing all of the stories and being told "this is something you must do!" I became excited to the point of no return. Even if I did get a job in Toronto I would gladly decline and decide to teach and travel. When else will I be able to do something like this? When I have a family and a house... and I'm chained to everything but adventure? The time is now.

I will be living right in downtown Seoul and working in a private school. I leave Canada June 23rd, go to an orientation and begin teaching July 1st. I will be celebrating Canada Day in Seoul with friends, hopefully drinking and singing the night away. I work 10 min walk from my building. I am so excited that I am experieincing all of this with my friend Samantha, who has already lived in New Zealand for 4 months. I hope we can go and she can show me around!

So many future plans for travel all around East ASIA!!

But before I go

Some things I need to do:
- Receive Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Visit the Korean Embassy
- Get my E2 Visa
- Send my Info courier overnight post

Some things I need to bring:
- teaching clothes
- rainboots
- lots of deoderant apparently...
- outlet converter
- $ and docs
- electronics
... and so much more, just made a 3 pg list that needs revising.
No idea how all of this stuff will fit in 2 suitcases... ahh!! o_O

Some things I want to try:
- Kimchi !!!
- learn more phrases and words in Korean.
- the transit system in Seoul
- white day / or black day because aparently there is a holiday for people who are single?
- karaoke tehehe

Some places I want to see:
- Seoul tower
- Lotte World
- Jeju island

& travel to:
- Shanghai, China
- Beijing -Great Wall
- Hong Kong - Shopping & Window of the World
- Taiwan
- Osaka, Japan
- Kyoto
- Tokyo - eat fresh sushi from a vending machine
- Singapore - Ride the Singapore Flyer
- Malaysia -Petronas Twin Towers
- Thailand, Vietnam
if there is time and $ left? Australia & NZ

Big plans and not that much time, ahhh I know!
5 yrs ago in film class the movie ChungKingExpress was screened. I fell in love.

"We split up on April Fool's Day. So I decided to let the joke run for a month. Every day I buy a can of pineapple with a sell-by date of May 1. May loves pineapple, and May 1 is my birthday. If May hasn't changed her mind by the time I've bought thirty cans, then our love will also expire... Somehow everything comes with an expiry date... Is there anything in the world which doesn't?..."

This blog will expire July 1, 2010.
Until then, I give you permission to keep spying on me.

Steph

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, this is AMAZING!! I hope to make it to your godbye bbq.

You're a superstar, bella. I hope you know that.

Ciao for now,
Marc

stephdoesseoul said...

Aww thx Marc!!! I hope to see you on June 6th!
Yay! Hopefully we stay in touch - always love to see what you're up to! You're the superstar! Much <3

Steph