BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 7, 2009

I Live for the Little Ones

Unpacking has always bothered me. Probably not as much as packing but it's definitely up there on my list of annoyances. When I came back from Ottawa I left all of my stuff in boxes... lots and lots of boxes. I took from these boxes only the most important things, then stuck the others in the garage. Who knows where I will be in a year from now... no use packing, unpacking, packing and unpacking again.

I found a few notes that some students wrote for me. It's the greatest feeling ever -- knowing you've made some sort of an impact on a child. Teaching is absolutely one of the most rewarding things and it's sort of unexplainable how great of a feeling you get when you helped a young mind flourish.

They say your philosophy of teaching often changes over time. I wrote this a year ago and I don't think I'd change much:

A CITY OF SHINING LIGHTS

As I write this belief statement I peer out my window, twenty-one floors up, and notice the sparkle of lights across the cityscape. The beauty overwhelms me and I must stop to think – what could possibly be this breathtaking? When I envision my classroom I think of it being a city, where students must build their skyscrapers of wisdom.

Education is the concrete base that supports a solid foundation for students in their academic careers and in life. I believe that students have the right to an education and positive work environment that fosters ethical learning, pro-diversity and equity. Each building is different and special, yet they all contribute to the uniqueness of what the city has to offer. Similar to the concept of equity in the classroom, my students would learn that though they may have differences in learning styles, development or physical appearance, each student contributes to our class group.

Parents and communities are the pillars and walls to the skyscrapers of knowledge. My mission, as a future teacher, is to act as a support beam for my students. My goals are to prevent these buildings from collapsing and crumbling. I will advise the students that they all begin with a base, but it is their job to build from this and work their way up. I would like each of my students to acknowledge that, with enough motivation and hard work, all is possible.

Each student deserves the very best education as well as the opportunity to understand that they have the capacity to build their tower as high as they dream. The sky is the limit!

I think that the how of learning is just as important as the end result and I know that positive reinforcement, creativity, respect and integrity can enlighten youth in their journey of building. I will provide all of my students with the materials and resources that will help them become future architects.

My philosophies and beliefs reside on honesty, integrity, ethics and the arts. My career goal is to one day bump into one of my past students, and together admire the nearly immaculate utopia that we can say we have built.

They make me smile!
Ohh ya, 2 weeks LEFT!!!!

0 comments: